Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Covered in White

Robert Rauschenberg: White Paintings
Guggenheim, NY
Have you ever considered how many colors are out there in the universe?  Can you imagine?  It is an endless array of tones, shades, reflectiveness.  As an artist and painter, I am overwhelm at times over the countless choices as my brush prepares to hit the canvas.  I once did a series of paintings using only white, black and greys.  It sounds colorless, doesn't it?  But, it is not!  Even with just that type of palette, the possibilities are endless!  Even painter, Mark Rothko who is known more for his bright color-block painting dabbled in a little black grey and white! 
Mark Rothko Portrait
The Shape of Jazz To Come #21
With shades of white and grey on my mind, my painter, Ravi, came by today to discuss the master bedroom and bath project.  He helped me pick out three possible colors for the master bedroom and bath.  I say "colors," but most of you might not consider Sherwin Williams shades called Natural Choice, Pearly White and Incredible White actual colors.  
SW7011 Natural Choice
Natural Choice

SW7009 Pearly White
Pearly White

SW7028 Incredible White
Incredible White


This is Before image of the room...dark.

Now, I am not sure how these color swatches are 'reading' on your monitor, but they are very very different. Well, that is.....if you are a weirdo like me, you notice!  Once they are on a wall, the undertones will really make a showing as they play off of the trim and accents in the room.  Light will play a serious role, as it usually does, in how they present themselves.  This is one of my primary concerns because our bedroom does not get very much natural light.  I will be picking up the sample quarts in a little while.  I usually take a few days making a decision about a wall color because I like to live with my swatches on all the walls to see how the color changes during the day.  I realize that this might seem ridiculous, but I believe that the walls are going to make or break this project. 

I am also working diligently on the Hall Tree that sits at the entry to the bedroom just at the top of a stairway.  Below is a before image.  The walls in this room are about to change, as I just mentioned, and this Hall Tree is in the process of a makeover as well.  
-Before-
I have been using Annie Sloan's Chalk Paint on many of my projects lately.  On this one, I have decided to use the Paris Gray as the primer, but I will not use the chalk paint for the top layers.  I have decided this for many reasons.  One, the chalk paint is horribly dusty in the sanding phase. This Hall Tree is just too darn heavy to take out and in repeatedly.  Secondly, because the shade that I want isn't really offered.  Thirdly, I want to antique this piece.  The chalk paint unrelentingly sucks up the stain, not allowing me to wipe it clean.  I want white, not mud! 

Why not just use a regular primer you ask?  (Come on, you know you asked.) I realize that this paint is super pricey, but  I do not like this shade, Paris Grey at all. Yuck! Not for me!  So why not just get some use out of it as a primer?  I can cover it up with something pretty.  Since, I want this piece to be white,  I have decided to paint it Sherwin William's Alabaster.   

Here it is after the priming stage.  Oh.....yucky Paris Grey.....how I long to cover you up!
I need to also pick up some new hardware for this piece.  I am thinking of going with something with a silver type finish.  I will then attempt to match it and spray the hooks in the same finish before returning them to their original places. 

As you can see, I have a lot to accomplish.  If I can get decent images, I will post them showing the different wall color swatches. If you have a great 'go to' white or neutral wall color, please don't hesitate to let me know!   For now, off to pick up my samples and try and find new hardware!  Well......after I clean these glops of grey paint off my arms.....  Wish me luck! 

-The End- 

5 comments:

tofubeast said...

Wishing you luck, but I know you don't need it! It will all turn out great!

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Good luck with painting. I like the gray ....
Alabaster will be pretty too.

Dee

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Can't wait to see more Lesley, I know the transformations will be fabulous!! Martina

Jen T said...

I totally get how chalk paint is a great primer..no prep or anything. And it does make a holy mess..I just went through a dust storm myself with it on a large piece. Your house is lovely!

Lisa Montsion said...

It's true. There are so many different colors that are variety's of two colors like amber.

lisa