Friday, May 27, 2011

Mini String of Paper Pennants Banner

This is a fun, quick little project.  I have been seeing pennant banners all over the blogs for some time.  I decided to tackle a little hour project of mine own.....mainly because I am loving my new pine hutch that I told you about in my post here.  I wanted to do a little 'something something' to hang on the adorable drawer knobs without getting crazy with materials and supplies.

I have seen these made out of fabric, but for this project I am using decorative papers.  It's easier.  I chose a red gingham paper that has been in my stash for over 12 years!  That's right....it is from my original Creative Memories paper supplies that I collected when my kids were babies and toddlers.  I decided on a simple "Welcome" because my dining area is at my front door.  I am using black glitters chipboard letters by Colorbok.

Here is the step by step that I followed to make the cute little string of pennants.

I made a quick banner template out of
copy paper using a straight edge.

I cut out the triangles from the gingham with regular scissors.  I then
used decorative scissor to cut out another triangle that is just slightly larger than
 the gingham triangle. I wanted to mimic a lacy trim. 

I glued together both pieces of paper
 using Rubber Cement.

I then glued the chipboard letters to the pennants, placing
 them at the same height on each pennant.  The gingham pattern made this a breeze.

I then used safety pins to pin each pennant into place on my jute
banner string that I had hung with a simple loop.  I wanted to get an
estimate of space without making it permanent.
 
After hot gluing the pennants
to the jute, I added decorative
bows to each end.

Here is my little paper pennant banner hanging on the pine hutch.

This little project took less than an hour to throw together and clean up.  I plan on making more of these tiny banners, so that I can change them out for special occasions.  Simple, fun, quick, easy, charming.  Gotta love it.
-The End-

I am linking this post to:






8 comments:

Corinna said...

This is absolutely adorable!

tofubeast said...

Very cute!!

Shortbread and Ginger said...

Lovely idea - looks great! Thanks for showing us how its done!
Liz

Deborah March said...

Oooohhh, i LOVE this...little mini-banners, what a GREAT idea for rainy day craft fun with my grand-boys this summer! I've bookmarked it, thanks for the tutorial. (Also, thank you SO MUCH for your kind comment on my puny little blog...you made my day!)

Debbiedoos said...

That is really cute Lesley! Love the check. Thanks for sharing with my newbie party.

Unknown said...

Hi Lesley~

Pennants are so fun & your's is such cute! I invite you to link to my K.I.S.S. Blog Bash. :)

~Christina~

Drop By The Tattered Tag

Bobbi said...

Very cute banner, and I love the idea of making more for special occasions...great inspiration :)

Lisa Montsion said...

I love that kitchen on the plate.

lisa