Sunday, May 15, 2011

Project: Hide Clutter and Perhaps a Teenager Too....

Raising teenager is not an easy undertaking.  There is really never a day off from some sort of issue.  Messy rooms seem to be par for the course.....at least with my 16 year old son.  Even when I lay down the law and command him to clean up the mess, it looks.....well, cluttered.  Take a look at this clothing shelf.  I mean, come on, people....this is just ridiculous!!!  Well, today this is about to change.  I am no longer going to look at this. 

I bought these shelves because they looked industrial, like the rest of his room.  There use to be two long black fabric panels hiding the messiness.  Those are long gone to somewhere that is still a mystery.....teenagers, ugh!  You can see that the walls are shocking green and you can make out the one post on the loft bed to the left in the image to the right.  (He is actually laying asleep in this bed as I sneak snap this picture.)  He also has a pretty cool classic rock album collection displayed on the walls and a black futon to lay around on.  This is what the room looked like a while back when we completed it.
So, I have decided to replace the shelves.  It was a good experiment that didn't yield the best results.  His bedroom is at the front door of the house and I am pretty tired of the mess.  I am instituting: Project Hide Clutter.  (Can I find something big enough to stuff him into as well??!!) 

I have spent sometime looking on Craigslist.  I have seen a few options, but none of them panned out because they were either too high in price, or already gone.  Here are a few things I have been considering.  I will most likely paint whatever I find black. (I know you find this shocking.) 
Nice and big....but it is too far away.

An armoire is possible.  But
would he keep the doors closed?

Maybe buy something already done??
Doesn't seem like me.

I see these as I peruse Craigslist.
Aren't they so kitschy adorable?!
Oh, the distractions!!!!

Already sold. Darn.
So.....I guess I am off to my local Goodwill and Salvation Army stores today to see if I can pick up something for cheap that can be painted black.  I have a ton of projects backing up and this one is going to be slid in between them.  Maybe I will even put him to work with a brush!  Now THAT would be fun.

-The End-

3 comments:

Sue said...

I vote for IKEA but I know that's not you. Check the store hours, I know a lot of SA's are closed on Sunday.

CindyLou said...

I'm your newest follower. Love the terraniums. I so love your outlook on teens!! That's exactly my thought! I'm glad to see someone besides me admit that most times it's not a lot of fun! I've started a new blog and I'm a little slow getting going, but come visit me sometime if you'd like - I know I'll be keeping track of your adventures!

Lisa Montsion said...

Green is a great color for a room for a teenager.

lisa