Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Why Can't We All Be Like That Wise Old Bird?

A wise old owl lived in an oak
The more he saw the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard.
Why can't we all be like that wise old bird?
 

I have a special place in my heart for owls.  I wrote back in April about my childhood memories of a pro-environment ad campaign called, Give A Hoot Don't Pollute and their mascot, Woodsy the Owl.   Other than that advertisement, I cannot remember really giving owls much thought before I returned for my second college degree 7 years ago.  You see, the college that I attended was built on a burrowing owl preserve.  I would take short breaks in the morning to watch the cute little creatures hop around their burrowed holes.  (I think these are the same species that are a part of that book, Hoot by Carl Hiaasen.) 

They gave me such joy, in a kindred way.  Funny little guys....little creatures who we have come to know as wise and old.  I think the little poem above is told to just about every small child in order to teach the idea of staying quiet and listening.   

Pixleyes.com
My mother was a wise old owl, even at a very young age.  She was full of great advice.  She was also a great listener.  I think these two things go hand in hand.  As a grow older, I really understand the importance of listening instead of speaking.  Perhaps this is why I have grown to be so fond of this little feathery, fluffy friend whose eyes stare out projecting the appearance of intense listening and watching.  

Since finding Woodsy back a few months ago, I have been on a hunt for opportunities to up cycle discarded owls.  My sister found two of these wise fellows while shopping in thrift shops this summer.  I found the last one (no before pic, sorry) while shopping with her in a thrift shop a few days ago. 
 

So this morning, I got out a can of Valspar Spray Paint in White Satin, and gave my new friends a new look.  I haven't set them up in any great table scape yet.  I will probably get around to that after my vacation.  Even without a special perch, I think they turned out nifty. 




Aren't they adorable?!! .....and so very wise, I am sure!!  Shhh.......listen, you might just hear them thinking.

-The End-

2 comments:

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

That is one of my mother's finest qualities also. We all vent to her and she never judges, just listens quietly. We all feel better after unloading, but I'm sure it keeps her awake at night. Just like the wise owl.

Unknown said...

my dad is also this type very much like the wise old owl... he is 80 now and a Benedictine monk (father of 10)